I'm sitting here with my friend playing with our iPhone instruments which include: iBone, piano and guitar. Now I've used my piano app in my classroom since I didn't have an actual piano present. I used it for an actual pitch and then sang/taught the song acapella. The guitar could come in handy as well for using chords as an accompaniment. However, this iBone app is the oddest one that we've used. It probably goes for other band instruments. We're hearing many intonation issues and inaccuracy in sound representation. So my question to you is, what do you think of instrument apps? Should you use them in the classroom? Here are some videos of these band instrument apps:
iBone
Trumpet
Saxophone
Guitar
Chelsey,
ReplyDeleteThis may be a cool way to keep kids engaged. And depending on the technology available to you, you could use them to help students hear the notes before they play them (albeit the intonation issues). I would say "yay," but use them with caution, or e-mail the developer about the intonation errors/other errors you have found. Maybe they'll let you assist them in making this a more useful tool for music educators!
Danny Klohn